Different industries are suitable for different alloy metals, all you need to do is how to choose the die casting metal that suits you.
If you want an alloy that can withstand high temperatures, then aluminum alloy will be your best choice. Aluminum can only be die cast by cold-chamber die casting.
If weight reduction is your top priority, then magnesium alloys will be your best choice.
If the pursuit of simple die casting process, economical and exquisite appearance, then zinc alloy is a good choice. The casting of zinc alloy is very simple and has good strength, hardness and dimensional stability. And compared with aluminum alloy, the service life is longer.
Die casting is particularly suitable for manufacturing a large number of small and medium-sized castings, so die casting is the most widely used in various casting processes. Compared with other casting technologies, the surface of die casting is flatter and has higher dimensional consistency.
The material selection of the die casting mold is mainly determined by the temperature and type of the die casting metal. The material selection of the die casting mold is mainly determined by the temperature and type of the casting metal. Mechanical engineers should consider a number of factors when selecting die casting material. Such as product performance, process performance, production conditions, economy and characteristics of die casting materials. Commonly used die cast metals for mechanical parts include aluminum alloy, zinc alloy and magnesium alloy.
Aluminum alloy is widely used in industry, and its usage is second only to steel. The specific weight of aluminum alloy is only about 1/3 of that of iron, so it is very important in various industries. In particular, it plays an indispensable role in the lightweight process of aircraft, ships, automobiles, and electronic equipment.
Advantages of Aluminum Die Casting
- The density of aluminum alloy is relatively small, only about 1/3 of that of iron, copper, and zinc. High specific strength and specific stiffness are its outstanding advantages.
- Aluminum alloy has good electrical and thermal conductivity.
- Aluminum castings has good resistance to oxidation and corrosion. In the air, the surface of aluminum is easy to form a dense disulfide oxide film, which can prevent further oxidation.
- Aluminum alloy has good die-casting properties. Aluminium die casting process is simple, forming and cutting performance is good, with high mechanical properties and corrosion resistance, it is the most potential alloy to replace steel die casting.
- Good high temperature mechanical properties of aluminum die casting parts. It also maintains good mechanical properties when working at low temperatures.
Disadvantages of Aluminum Die Casting
- Aluminum cast are prone to large concentrated shrinkage in the final solidification.
- Aluminum casting alloys has a strong affinity with iron and is easy to stick. It should be pressed on cold-chamber die casting.
Aluminum Die Casting Applications
- Automobile and motorcycle accessories:
Die cast aluminum material properties are light in weight and has good thermal conductivity. High strength and good plasticity. Can be used in automobile engine block, cylinder head, carburetor housing, gear pump, wheel hub, automobile chassis, brake pedal, etc.
- Power tool accessories:
Electric drill casing, electric drill, protective cover, machine head, etc.
- Electronic and electrical accessories:
Aluminum castings can be used as micro motor mounts, mobile phone cases, computer cases, radiators, optical drive frames, TV junction boxes, etc.
- Other uses:
Aluminum pans, mechanical connectors, elevators, decorations, etc.
The molten state of the zinc alloy is very good, with a low melting point of only 365 degrees. Various post-processing can be performed. However, due to poor corrosion resistance, it is gradually eliminated by aluminum alloys. Currently the most used is the bathroom industry.
Advantages of Zinc Die Casting
- Zinc alloy has excellent casting properties, mechanical properties and toughness. It is widely used in traditional mechanical parts, hardware, locks, toys and other industries.
- Zinc alloy properties has excellent electrical and thermal conductivity, good vibration damping characteristics, and good electromagnetic shielding performance. It is widely used in electronics, telecommunications, home appliances.
- Zinc alloy is a universal, reliable, and low-cost material that is easy to die-cast. It is easier to die-cast products with complex shapes, thin walls, and high dimensional accuracy. It can realize the requirements of light weight and cost reduction.
- Compared with aluminum alloys and magnesium alloys, zinc diecast have higher tensile strength, yield strength, impact toughness and hardness, and better elongation.
- The surface of zinc alloy die casting parts is very smooth and can be used directly without surface treatment. At the same time, it is relatively easy to perform various surface treatments, such as polishing, plating, spraying, etc.
- Zinc alloys have a low melting point and melt at 385 ° C. Compared to aluminum alloys and magnesium alloys, zinc alloys are the easiest to die-cast.
Disadvantages of Zinc Die Casting
Zinc alloy materials with poor corrosion resistance. Prone to aging and deformation when the impurity elements lead, cadmium and tin exceed the standard. Its specific manifestations are volume expansion, significant reduction in mechanical properties, and rupture over time.
Timeliness. If used for too long, the shape and size of zinc alloy die castings will change slightly.
Zinc alloys are not suitable for use in high and low temperature working environments. Zinc alloy has good mechanical properties at room temperature. However, the tensile strength at high temperature and the impact performance at low temperature are significantly reduced. When the temperature is lower than minus 10 ° C, the impact toughness decreases sharply. When the temperature rises, the mechanical properties decrease and creep easily occurs. Therefore, the temperature of the stressed part generally does not exceed 100℃.
Strictly control the purity and melting process of zinc alloy raw materials. Adding a small amount of Mg and Cu to the zinc alloy can eliminate the aging phenomenon and improve the cutting performance.
Zinc Die Casting Applications
- Structural use: such as car carburetor, pillar, lock, gear, frame. As structural parts, zinc die casting process requires high mechanical strength, dimensional accuracy, and internal quality of castings.
- Decorative uses: such as daily necessities, toys, decorations, lighting, watch cases, mobile phone cases, metal buckles, bathroom accessories, etc. The surface quality of the zinc diecasting parts is relatively high, and the surface is smooth and beautiful.
Magnesium alloy is an alloy composed of magnesium and other elements. Its characteristics are low density, high specific strength, large specific elastic modulus, good heat dissipation, and good shock absorption. The ability to withstand impact loads is greater than that of aluminum alloys, and has good resistance to organic and alkali corrosion. The specific gravity of magnesium is about 2/3 of aluminum and 1/4 of iron. Therefore, it is widely used in mobile phones, communication equipment and other electronic equipment, auto parts, and medical equipment.
Advantages of Magnesium Die Casting
- Magnesium alloys are called “green engineering materials of the 21st century”. Its density is 2/3 of aluminum alloy and 1/4 of steel. But the specific strength and stiffness are better than aluminum alloy and steel alloy. It is an excellent and lightweight structural material.
- Magnesium casting material has good energy absorption and vibration absorption characteristics. Used in product housings to reduce noise transmission. Used for moving parts to absorb vibration and prolong the service life of parts.
- Casting magnesium have good electromagnetic shielding properties and can provide electromagnetic radiation protection for electronic products.
- Good rigidity and impact resistance.
- Good ductility and easy forming, which can make product design flexible and improve product grade.
- Magnesium alloy has a low melting point, which results in low deformation at low temperatures and high dimensional accuracy, which is conducive to one-shot molding. It has low affinity with iron, and it is not easy to adhere to the mold, which is beneficial to improve productivity and mold life. Moreover, the good flow properties of magnesium casting alloys are conducive to the production of complex and small pieces.
- The machining performance is the best, the required cutting force is small, the cutting effect is good, and the tool life is long.
- Good heat dissipation, second only to aluminum alloy.
- Good dimensional stability, it is not susceptible to the effects of changes in ambient temperature and time on the size.
- 100% recyclable.
Disadvantages of Magnesium Die Casting
Magnesium alloys are susceptible to oxidation in the air. Magnesium casting parts must undergo surface treatment after forming to improve corrosion resistance. Common surface treatment methods include electroplating, spray coating, and anodizing. Similarly, magnesium alloys have the disadvantages of high temperature brittleness and high tendency to thermal cracking.
Magnesium Die Casting Applications
A291: Magnesium die casting has good casting performance and strength, used for thin-walled parts with complex shapes. Such as automobiles, computing and parts, hand tools, sports equipment, household appliances.
AM50, AM60: Casting alloys has outstanding toughness and energy absorption, and has good strength and mechanical properties. Used for car seats, steering wheels, dashboards, wheel hubs.
AM20: Magnesium die casting alloy with high toughness and impact strength, used for parts requiring high toughness.
AS41: Magnesium casting alloys have good creep resistance at 150 degrees, used to withstand high load parts. Such as cylinder block, crankcase, brake parts, etc.
Ryan specializes in aluminum die castings and zinc die castings. We supply outstanding technical support to our customers on the entire die cast process. We have rich production experience and offer good service to customers, regular mold within 35 days and quotation within 3 workdays, urgent for only 1 workday, Contact us today for firstname.lastname@example.org